Friday, October 3, 2008

Not Even the Dog ...

Walk Location: neighborhood
Time of Walk: early morning
Temperature: 43 degrees
Skies: too dark to tell
Steps: 3,500
iPod: MPR's This American Life

Not even my walking companion Gizmo would join me to walk this morning. The dark, cool fall morning was too threatening for him to leave his warm place at the foot of my son's bed. I called, cajoled, clapped my hands, moved toward him invitingly, all to no avail. He was not moving.

But I was. This is one of those "maintenance" walks in which there is little natural beauty to see, only the cool darkness of the morning to experience, and exercise steps to be garnered. The past few days have been only these kinds of walks since I have had limited time with job and family responsibilities.

1 comment:

GZimmy said...

Sometimes, Bart, I think we need this kind of walk. It's like we experience the fullness of life that way. The darkness and coolness, even cold, can have a cleansing effect on our minds.