Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Snowy Afternoon in October


Walk Location: Sibley Park, Mankato, MN
TIme of Walk: mid-afternoon
Skies: blustery, snowy, wind-whipped
Temperature: 33 degrees
Steps: 2,500
iPhone: This American Life (MPR)

I have not blogged a walk for some time because I have been sick for the better part of two weeks and any walk I have taken has been only maintenance, and evidently not enough maintenance either because my blood sugar numbers have been out of whack (too high). Today, however, I am finally feeling better, so I headed out into the elements to get back on track.

And what a day it was. With wind gusts of up to 50 miles per hour, snow pelleting my face from the sky and the chilliness of the day I had no trouble finding solitude on the paths at Sibley Park. There were a couple of cars that passed me by, but otherwise there was no sign of human life. A walk in the brisk weather invigorated me, though, and I am glad I went, although it was only about 2,500 steps. (By the time I sleep tonight I will clocked about 13,000 steps through additional neighborhood walks with the dog, and I am hopeful that I will be back on the walking plan now).

This time of year is always a challenge for an outside walker like myself, because the weather is a constant disincentive. I expect some nice days to come (my hope is that winter has not already arrived, since it is still October), but by the time late November arrives it will take some personal fortitude to walk as I need to walk.

No comments: