Sunday, September 21, 2008

Another Advantage to Regular Walking

Walk Location: around the neighborhood
Time of Walk: Evening
Temperature: 75 degrees
Skies: dark
Steps: 2,000

Tonight's walk was another routine one, in the dark, my way lighted only by street lights and shadows in and around the neighborhood where I live. It was simply a maintenance walk to get in my needed daily steps.

It is the first day of Autumn, but it would be hard to prove based upon today's weather, with temperatures in the mid-80s, warm sunny skies and light breezes. It is balmy and humid outside, and the temptation is to turn on the central air conditioning, but I know that the night will bring blessed relief and we will awaken to a cool, refreshing morning.

Over the weekend while I was gone I received a letter from my physician analyzing my most recent blood results. As a type 2 diabetic I have my A1C tested at least every three months. In the months since my last blood draw I have been more intent upon walking and to some degree more observant of healthy eating. I have lost some weight (although I do not know how much), I feel better, and my results confirm my subjectivity. In a little more than three months my A1C has dropped a complete point (1.0) and my "bad" cholesterol was "excellent." It's enough to keep me walking for some time to come.

No comments: