Sunday, September 7, 2008

Not Always That Exceptional

Walk Location: Minneopa State Park
Walk Time: Mid-Afternoon
Temperature: 75 degrees
Steps: 4,000

There are some walks to remember and others that are rather typical. Sometimes, especially when I walk first thing in the morning, I awaken with anticipation and find that the discipline that pushes me out to walk is rewarded with a sense of well being. This afternoon's walk, though, was less than exceptional. After a busy Sunday morning I was tired to begin with, and my legs and feet were aching before I began. Accompanying me were our dog and two of my younger sons who are now thirteen and twelve. Fortunately they reigned in their bickering ways, so I was relieved of that burden, and neither complained much about the walk, the weather, the length of time moving or one of the other trivial irritations that often emerge when they walk with me. So, in that regard it was pleasant enough. It just wasn't all that exceptional. It was not a "walk to remember."

Autumn continues to invade the final stand of summer. As we walked the sun peeked out from behind clouds warming us but not making us hot enough to perspire. The breezes are the whisps of autumnal chill, not the blasts from summer's oven. Among the visual rewards were a beautiful purple thistle standing alone amongst an array of various prairie grasses.



The milkweeds are plentiful this year, with many buds on each stalk awaiting the drying winds of the weeks to come so that the whispy seeds within can be released into the environs. On the leaf of one of the milkweed we discovered this beautiful caterpillar.

No comments: