Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Hills Are Alive



Walk Location: Jeffers Petroglyphs (Jeffers, MN)
Walk Time: Late Morning
Temperature: 62 degrees
Skies: Clear and sunny, little breeze
Steps: 1,900



During the seven years we lived in Luverne, MN, I grew to love the prairie with its undulating hills, immensity of space and openness. Since our move a little more than two years ago to Mankato, where the prairie meets what was once called "the Big Woods" I have come to appreciate the beauty of a new part of Minnesota. Today, though, I was reminded of what I have missed from the prairie experience.

On my way to a clergy retreat in rural Windom (near Jeffers), MN, I had just enough time to stop by the Jeffers Petroglyphs for a walk and brief exploration. The Minnesota Historical Society operates this site which is home to ancient carvings of human origin in a number of the rock formations. For the visitor the choice is between a direct trail route to the Petroglyphs or a longer route that takes in some of the prairie. Since I had the time to enjoy a beautiful late summer September morning, I took the long way.

The prairie opens wide and beautiful in this part of Minnesota, and I was struck during my walk through the mowed trail at how lively is this environment. Surrounding me were a diversity of prairie grasses, flowers and other vegetation. The monarch butterfly in the above picture is a striking contrast to the purple of the plant, and at just the right moment I was able to capture some of today's abundant beauty. There is something airily delightful in seeing a butterfly lazing on a cool September morning, seemingly oblivious to the shortness of time before the coolness of autumn sets in.

The photo to the right captures some of the colorful beauty of the prairie. The combination of purples and blues, browns and greens, yellows and greys create an impressive palette of natural beauty.


Now that I have been absent the prairie for two years I had forgotten how vital and active it is. The various insects flitting and buzzing about, the butterflies and other small, limber creatures making their presence known stand in stark contrast to the somnolescent forested trails I now walk most frequently. Had I been using a better camera than that on my iPhone you could see the small insects sucking the nectar of life from the purple plant in this photo.



The reason most people find themselves at the Petroglyphs is not the examine the prairie landscape but to witness the rocks in which ancient peoples carved symbols and left other reminders of their presence. Can you identify the handprint in this rock?

I was the only person on the prairie today, so it was an opportunity for solitude and communing with the glories of creation. All around me were reminders of life, present and active in the vegetation and insects who call this habitat home, as well as ancient and prehistoric in the many carvings left behind by native peoples innumerable years ago.

No comments: