Tuesday, September 2, 2008

When the Sumac Glows

It is September 2nd in southern Minnesota, and the morning emerged dense, humid and overcast.  I walked one of my favorite paths in Minneopa State Park which takes me through a wooded area along the high bluffs above the Minnesota River.

The terrain is relatively flat, although the footing is uneven at times.  The pathway is occasionally mowed by state park staff, so it is easy to spot the tree trunks pushing from the earth and the occasional lump created by an underground animal.

As I walked this morning in the moisture-ridden air the wind helped to dispel the humidity, creating a refreshing, lush experience.  I was surprised that at the beginning of my venture my shoes attracted dew, but once I crossed the dirt road to continue westward there was no dew.  My first steps were near a marshy area, and then I moved into a drier, forest-abutting-the prairie experience.

I was alone on today's walk.  Usually I am accompanied by my faithful canine companion, Gizmo, but last night while we were walking in town he was attacked by a larger, non-tethered dog.  By the time I could hoist Gizmo into my arms he had been bitten on the left hindquarters, so today he is moving very slowly.  Typically my invitation, "Gizmo, do you want to go for a walk" results in a tail-wagging blither of dog happiness, but today my only response was a dejected painfully panting pet recovering from his injuries.

It is also the first day of school for our high school children.  (In our community younger kids start a day or so later).  Even without a calendar I would be reminded that it's time for school to begin again because of the Rhus glabra (smooth-skinned sumac)   which is found in abundance on the trails I walked this morning.  In the fall "red sumac" becomes vivid red in color, although its name derives from the brilliance of the leaves rather than from the seeds of the plant, which are red before the green leaves turn crimson.


This photo captures the beginning change in the green leaves, which will be glowing red in no time at all. The berries of the red sumac contain hard seeds which are loaded with ascorbic acid (vitamin C). It is reported that Native women used this berry in jams or jellies requiring an acidic touch. Native Americans also found a medicinal use in treating various bacterial diseases.

I spotted no wildlife this morning which is unusual for this particular walk, which often results in white tail deer, birds of various kinds and squirrels. Perhaps it was the meterological density of the morning.

No comments: