Monday, September 15, 2008

A Benefit of the Night


Walk Location: Neighborhood
Time of Walk: Evening
Temperature: 67 degrees
Skies: partly cloudy
Steps: 7,000

In addition to my faithful walking companion, Gizmo, two of my sons, Wilson (9) and Ben (16), accompanied me on my walk. Once again today I decided to walk at night rather than morning. I still prefer my morning walks, although the beauty of tonight's full moon helped me appreciate my steps. This is one of the benefits of a night walk.

It is the "in-between" time with cool nights and warm days. Each day more leaves are turning shades of red and orange, yellow and brown, and it will not be much longer before they fall from the branches and blow in the late autumn breezes that will lead to the first snow and sleet of the year. We still have a good six weeks at least before that happens, so for now I will appreciate the beauty that is present.

No comments: