Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Now That's What I'm Talkin' About


Walk Location: Red Jacket Trail (from West Mankato, MN) past Mt. Kato around Indian Lake
Walk Time: Early Morning
Temperature: 45 degrees
Skies: Clear blue and sunny
Steps: 13,900

One of the common personality assessment instruments rates me as a high "P" for perceiving, which means that I abhor anything that feels closed in. I always like to have numerous options before me, I find it difficult to decide what it is I want to do at any given moment, and I am always seeking something new. This morning's walk experience confirms my idiosyncratic self.

A few minutes after 6 AM Gizmo and I got into the car, and we drove to what is called "West" Mankato. We parked the car near one of the points where the Red Jacket trail begins and entered the morning chill. Another moist cool night produced heavy dew, which you might even be able to see on this leaf.



After my first 3,000 steps I felt the urge to push myself a little harder than usual, so we continued our trek forward. We continued forward out of the city limits with its tree-canopied walkway into the break that opens into a prairie area. Glancing ahead I could see Mt. Kato (a small ski area in our community), green this time of year, but soon to be festooned with glistening white snow and ice. It was at this point that I had a decision to make. I could turn around and count about 7000 steps, or I could press forward. It was early, I had the time and Gizmo was holding up well.

In that moment of choosing between predictable and new, I chose new. We walked on to the west of the base of Mt. Kato and continued southward, picking up the South Route trail and moving to the east. By this point I knew there was no turning back, and we trudged forward.

Eventually we came to Indian Lake and witnessed the beauty of steam cascading upward, the contrast of the warm water with the crisp air. In the background I could hear the honks of Canadian geese making their annual pilgrimage to the south. The sound of geese in the air is always a tell-tale sign that autumn is at hand.



We walked on pavement, on asphalt and gravel in this morning's hike, and by the time we returned to the car had clocked nearly 14,000 steps (which is somewhere between five and six miles). My daily goal at this point is about 10,000 steps per day (total), so I have, by 8:30 AM, already surpassed my expectations. On days like today my personality type suits me well.

No comments: