Friday, September 12, 2008

A (Nearly) Solitary Walk

Walk Location: 610th Lane (near Madison Lake, MN) eastward past Madison Lake
Temperature: 62 degrees
Walk Time: Morning
Skies: Cloudy and overcast
Steps: 12,000
iPod: Taylor Branch's Parting of the Waters: America in the King Years(1954-1963)

I have become intrigued with the Sakatah Singing Hills Trail, which begins in Mankato and then travels westward for 39 miles to Faribault, Minnesota. I have been most familiar with the end of the trail furthest west, but gradually am moving eastward to experience it. Today I began east of Eagle Lake, MN, and walked further east toward Madison Lake, and then past Madison Lake. In my 12,000 steps and nearly two hours I saw only one other person, and that after I had begun my trek back toward my car.

It is a sullen morning, cloudy and grey, with impending rain. It is warm, though, and feels more like a summer morning than an autumn one. I was surprised at how many frogs I noticed today. With the occasional marshy area abutting the paved walkway it is no surprise that there are amphibious creatures lurking nearby, but I cannot remember seeing so many on a particular morning. Someone more in tune with the ways of these animals and their connection to the seasons probably has a good explanation as to their behavior.


Each day I am seeing more mottled colors festooning the hardwoods as I walk. There are more oranges today than there were yesterday. The sumac continues to increase in its red intensity. The fruit-bearing trees and bushes are sporting the results of their summer's work. I noticed small pin-cherry like bushes, crab apples, and wild plums today.

No comments: